SEVIS M-1 Requirements

Student and Exchange Visitor Information System

The ”M” visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies. M-1 visa holders for technical and vocational programs are not permitted to work during the course of their studies. The M-1 student visa applicants must have evidence that sufficient funds are immediately available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of intended stay.

How do I get my I-20, for Helicopter Flight Training?

There is no better feeling than being accepted into your program of choice to study in the USA. You’re one step closer to achieving your dreams! While it might feel like you have gotten over the hardest part of the process, there are still some hurdles to jump over. Now that you’ve been accepted, it’s time to figure out your visa and immigration paperwork to legally study in the USA. By now, you’ve probably heard that you need an I-20 from, but how do you get one?
The I-20 Form is a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. Once you have been accepted into a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program)-certified school, and paid your I-901 SEVIS fee, an official representative from your school will give you the appropriate I-20 Form based on whether the school you attend is in F-1 or M-1 status.. Every school that accepts you will send you an I-20 Form once you’ve paid the fee. Only complete the I-20 Form from the school that you decide to attend.
Follow the instructions on the 4 links below and you’ll be on your way to becoming an M-1 student with Star Helicopters Flight Training programs.
Before proceeding with your M-1 Visa Application you should first apply with the TSA for approval for Flight Training (if this is your initial Flight Training for a Private Pilot Certificate or you are applying for an Instrument Rating).
TSA approval for Flight Training
Star Helicopters M-1 Visa Instructions
Star Helicopters International Student Registration Application
Star Helicopters M-1 Attendance Policy




“Student and Exchange Visitor Program Information

What is SEVIS? 
SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is a nationwide, Internet-based system that the U.S. government uses to maintain accurate and current information on non-immigrant students (F and M visa), exchange visitors (J visa), and their dependents (F-2, M-2, and J-2). 
You will be registered as an non-immigrant for an M-1 Visa, after you have been issued your I-20 you will receive an M-1 Visa to attend Star Helicopters for Flight Training.
You are first entered into SEVIS (by a Designated School Official at Star Helicopters) when your initial I-20 is created. When your initial I-20 is printed out, it comes with a barcode and a unique SEVIS ID number. This SEVIS ID should stay with you for as long as you study continuously in the U.S. even if you change your major or transfer to a new school. (If you are out of the U.S. for more than five consecutive months, then you will need a new I-20 to re-enter the U.S.). 
When you enter the U.S., your arrival is recorded in SEVIS at your port of entry. After you begin your studies in the U.S., SEVIS maintains personal information about you and your academic status. In other words, SEVIS tracks whether you are maintaining M-1 status. The designated school officials (DSO’s) are required by law to enter the following information about each M-1 student: 

    • Your local address
      When you register for your first session at IEI, you must report your local address. If you move at any time, you must notify the DSO and complete a change-of-address form for Immigration.
    • Confirmation of registration
      At the beginning of each session, the DSO will confirm that you are enrolled fulltime for the current session.
    • Reduced course load
      If you are eligible for a reduced course load, the DSO must report that as well as the reason why you are not able to take a full course load (e.g., medical reasons).
    • Vacation
      If you are eligible for your annual vacation and decide not to enroll for a session, the DSO will report that you are on vacation for that session.
    • Transfer
      If you want to enroll at another school, you must request an official transfer from your DSO. In most cases, you will obtain a transfer request form from your new school to be given to the DSO at your current school. Your current DSO will then transfer your SEVIS record to your new school. Your SEVIS record is accessible to only one school at any time.
    • Extension
      If, for some reason, you cannot finish the Star Helicopters Flight Training program by the program end date indicated on your I-20, you can request an extension. You must request an extension at least 30 days BEFORE the program end date.
    • Completion of program
      If you complete the Star helicopters Flight Training program or you return home AND you don’t plan to return to the U.S. within 6 months, then your SEVIS record will indicate that you have completed the program.
    • Termination

Your SEVIS record may be terminated for various reasons, for example, if you do not enroll in classes when you should; if you are dismissed for any reason; or if you work off-campus. If your SEVIS record is terminated, you will have to file for reinstatement if you wish to continue studying in the U.S. [/text]